Saturday, June 24, 2006

Zippity Zap Zip Zip Zap

Originally posted June 24, 2006

Know how I can tell Im getting old? Its easy. When I turn my upper body well within my normal range of motion, I suddenly feel like someone has ground one of my vertebrae into a fine powder, as I did this morning. Oh, and cuz I cant remember stuff no good neither.

A while back I bought Vicki a RadioShack ZipZap Monster Truck. For those of you that dont know about ZipZaps, they are tiny little remote control cars that charge on the remote controller. I also bought the tire and engine upgrade kits for the little truck. It was a fun novelty for a while, Vicki would make me chase her around the room playing tag with it. Last week, we had to go to the mall to get Stacy a new pair of glasses. While she was bartering with the Lenscrafters, I took the girls into the RadioShack next door. They had a large Cars display right in the front, complete with three ZipZaps based on characters from the movie. Can you guess how long it took the girls to ask for them? I relented; theyre cheap little toys and I have a soft spot for RC cars. Vicki picked out Sally, the blue Porsche and Zoe picked Lightning McQueen, the stock car. I accidentally picked two different frequencies, thank goodness. No upgrade kits, but that just saved me money.

Creepy Uncle Phils ZipZap

I put the cars together for the girls the next day. They had a great time zipping around the living room. Kylie, a girl Stacy babysits during the week, tried to use the old monster truck but was having trouble. Upon examination, I realized that the truck and Sally operated on the same frequency. Durn it. I also found that the ZipZaps found every bit of dog hair on the floor and directed it straight to the gear assembly on the axle.

Hair collection, the ZipZap way!

Yesterday, I got a call from Stacy asking if we could get spare parts for the truck. After all the abuse it had taken months ago, one of the girls dropped it and broke a strut. By the time I got home, Lightning McQueen wasnt responding to the RC. The truck was unsalvageable. A piece of the strut and the spring was missing. Lightning McQueen was completely unresponsive. So we packed the kids into the van and headed to the local CrapShack to exchange McQueen and get a new truck. Our local RadioShack is located in a very ethnic-oriented part of town.

After the Manassas city beautification project

Stacy didnt want to get out at first, but I assured her that with my gruff exterior and the fact that she was carrying a baby were big deterrents for anyone wanting to start some trouble. We headed back to the ZipZap section to find that all of their McQueens were on the same frequency as Vickis Sally. No good. We also discovered that in their infinite wisdom, RadioShack only produced two frequencies in their ZipZaps. That meant that any truck I bought would conflict with one of the girls cars. No truck for me. Zoe picked out a Herbie ZipZap from Herbie Fully Loaded and we exchanged the McQueen. Extra bonus: Herbie was half-off.

Sadly, Herbie wasnt driven by a miniature Lindsay Lohan

We made a stop for ice cream, with hilarious reactions to every drip off the cone (considering the heat, there were plenty of those.) Then we headed home. After the girls were in bed, I put together Herbie. Turns his price wasnt the only thing that was half-off. He used half the batteries and had half the power as the other ZipZaps. Ah well, Zoe certainly wouldnt notice.

Zoes first, second, and third cars

To end on a bright note, that crushing pain in my back has extended through my body and into my chest. Woo hoo!

The only thing that gets rid of my back pain!

No comments: