Sunday, June 25, 2006

I Knew I Should've Kept Those High-Waters!

It was a fun time at my house last night, let me tell you! Stacy had been out and about during the day, so she didn’t get to make dinner. Instead, we met at Potbellies for a delicious dinner of PB&J sandwiches (yes, I know we could make those at home, shut it.) Stacy still had an errand to run, so I headed home. I fixed my lunch for the next day then took my Excedrin PM so I could get plenty of sleep before work. Before I headed off to bed, I remembered that Stacy wanted me to check the basement. We had a major rainstorm Thursday night and the drain in our basement entryway got plugged. Only a little bit of water made it into the house, but we didn’t want a repeat.

We got a repeat.

The first sign was my dog’s paw print embedded in the waterlogged carpet at the base of the stairs. By the time I crossed the room to the door, the water was up to the top of my rubber soles. It was lovely. Sure enough, a candy wrapper some kind youth thoughtfully threw over our fence clogged the drain. I spent the next three hours siphoning up what water I could with our carpet cleaner (almost as effective as ZipZaps in finding dog hair, only its much more moist.) Stacy got lost on the way home, so double fun for her. She put the girls to bed before heading to Wally’s World for a dehumidifier and a couple of box fans. By the time she got back, the carpet cleaner was jammed with wet dog hair and I was asleep on my feet. Curse you for being so effective, Excedrin PM! After cleaning out the carpet cleaner, I was barely intelligible. I called work to tell them I’d be late and then headed to bed. I was asleep before my head hit the pillow. Stacy stayed up another three hours until the carpet cleaner got jammed again.

Like I said, fun time!

No comments: