Tuesday, February 12, 2008

So...Very...Cold

You know that feeling you get when you wake up on a winter morning? The one that makes you wonder if the heater is on at all? You can usually chalk that up to stepping out of your warm blankets and into the comforter-less air. Yeah, not this morning. This morning, with outside temperatures below freezing and my daughters huddled in their coats as we prepared to leave, my beautiful wife thought to check the thermostat. Even though it was set for 65, the temperature was much lower. A quick trip down to the basement revealed that the pilot light for the furnace was out.

Lovely.

I know lighting your own pilot light is dangerous, especially the longer it may have been out, but we decided to try it. There was absolutely no odor of gas around the furnace, even at the very base. I figured it was safe enough. Then, being the certifiable genius I am, (also, not seeing an obvious place to light a pilot,) I decided to read the sticker on the front plate.

WARNING: This furnace is not equipped with a pilot light. It has an electric ignition. DO NOT try to light the furnace manually.

Er, okay.

I took a quick peek at the breaker switches in the next room and noticed that the furnace's switch was tripped. I flipped it and air started pumping through the blower.

Figures.

Now, we just have to figure out why the furnace tripped its circuit breaker.

Unrelated Side Note Dept
Stacy has started a blog of her very own. I've linked it over in the side bar. Check it out!

1 comment:

lbugsh2 said...

It was 56 degrees for your information. That is to cold in my house for my blood.