Tuesday, September 12, 2006

I'm Still Alive, Just in Training

Finally! I actually have some time to write. Ugh, these past couple of weeks have been sorely lacking in recreational PC time. I have either been at work, doing school work, helping Stacy around the house, or showing the visiting in-laws a good time every single day this past week. Now, I'm sitting in Red Hat training. I have once again found myself with some free time at the end of a lab. The book provides twice as much time as I need for the labs and the instructors generally let even more time pass before moving on to the next section.
Classmates, what ya gonna do?

Speaking of instructors, this is my first Red Hat training here that has a different teacher. As you may remember from a previous post, my instructor for the first three courses was Wooly Willy himself. This week's course is being taught by Robby Coltrane's sister. Well, I don't know for a fact if they're related, but if she's not his sister, then she's Coltrane in drag. She's a nice Norwegian with an English accent, which sometimes has the odd effect of making her sound Russian at times. Plus, she laughs like a chipmunk. Hmm, Robby Coltrane in drag as a chipmunk. I need sleep. She's the same instructor that Jon had in his last class. Apart from her, this class is a total SausageFest. Seriously, she is the only person here without a y chromosome. Ah well, it's not like I'm here looking to score. The receptionist down the hall is cute enough during my all-too-frequent trips to the bathroom.
Sadly, Robbie's audition didn't go as well as he'd hoped

In related news, although I caught it late, I did watch this week's premier of Family Guy. Peter's prostrate problems aside, Stacy and I got the biggest laugh at Stewie's sudden dependence on Lois. If Scarlett could talk, that would have been a direct translation of Stacy's daily life. I guess it's a wonder she hasn't dumped Scarlett in a washing machine yet. I maintain that God made kids cute as a defense mechanism.Baby animals are almost as bad

Venture Brothers, although in the midst of an on again, off again season, did premier a new episode this week, too. The reappearance of the haplessly old-fashioned astronaut, Col. Manstrong, was great, as was Brock's fued with one of the president's secret service men. We also got a glimpse of Jonas Jr.'s new home life with Mr. Incredible's wife and good friend Ned (hilarious Venture Bros analogues to Marvel's Invisible Woman and Thing). Brock is incredibly restrained in this episode with any ultraviolence kept off-screen sadly. We do actually see Rusty shine for just a few minutes as he traps the president, Monica Lewinsky's parellel, Brock, Brock's SS rival, Rusty, Col. Manstrong and Mama Manstrong in the oval office with a force field generator. Rusty shines that is, until the final post-credit scene when the white house maid dissolves the force field with the Universal Cleaner, club soda. Not going to protect many men in the field when all the enemy has to do is bring a seltzer bottle. It does, however, open up entire realms of possibilities with enemy uniforms. Imagine, the base camp is perfectly safe under their Venture Industries Force Field when suddenly, they are assaulted by a platoon of circus clowns crammed in a tiny VW Bug. What's next, exploding cream pies? Hmmm, exploding pies...
Latest in military firepower, the laser-guided multi-warhead tactical cream pie

I promised some pics of our New York trip and have not delivered yet. Sorry. I'll get them up next time I can blog from home. We've since been to the Civil War Manassas Battlegrounds, the Natural History Museum, and Luray Caverns & Garden Maze to name a few. Like I said, it's been a busy couple of weeks. I actually look forward to the relative quiet of my work week now.

No comments: