Thursday, May 01, 2008

Welcome to May!

And now, here's a message from Despair Inc. for all you lolcat lovers out there.



This last Tuesday we went to Asahi (nee Kobe's,) a Japanese hibachi grill, to celebrate another birthday. Happy birthday, Paul! As usual, the cook was very entertaining. This one was actually better than others we've had. He had a few jokes, but it was funnier watching his reactions to the hibachi grill n00b we had with us. She was Paul's date and had apparently never eaten at a place like that before. After the first gout of flame from the cook's oil-covered grill, she scooted her chair back about three feet. She was sitting right in the middle where we forced her to sit after finding out she had never been before, of course. I don't think she trusted our cook with that much flame. The show went on with plenty of laughs until the cook was ready to make the main course. Naturally, he had to oil up the grill again. By this time, Paul's date had inched her way forward so she was only about a foot from the table again. FWOOSH! She was a good sport about it, but the look in her eye told the cook that if he knew what was good for him, he wouldn't light anything else on fire. Naturally, he did it anyway. This time it was just the onion volcano, so no one came to bodily harm, but the risk was there.

Perhaps, no, definitely more entertaining was Stacy's attempt at catching shrimp. The cook had set aside some shrimp to chop into tiny bits and toss into the diners' mouths near the end. Most everyone caught theirs after the first, second, or third try. Stacy, not so much. The cook actually ran out of shrimp bits to toss at Stacy as they rebounded off her chin, nose, forehead, pink hair, and even her teeth when she was laughing too hard to open her mouth. There was a collection of shrimp arrayed around her chair that would feed an Ethiopian family. Finally, after "recycling" the last of the bits that landed on the table, the cook made the shot and Stacy caught it. She nearly received a standing ovation.

It's comforting to know that even when we get out without the kids, we don't need them to fling food all over and make the cleaning staff earn their money.

3 comments:

lbugsh2 said...

Dang it you can not take me anywhere nice I am just to messy. I think my clumbsyness is getting worse run hide.

Huffy said...

Ok, now I'm addicted to your writing and I had to praise you on my blog. How did you get that animated picture of you golfing. I would love to put something up on mine like that. After reading a bunch of blogs..youre right, theres a lot out there thats way way worse than mine. I dont feel so bad. Vince and I agree you kinda write like Dave Barry, but better. see ya Dan

Merlin T Wizard said...

Thanks, Dan. I don't know that I deserve any praise. This is just a hobby that takes entirely too much time when I could be doing constructive things. Your compliments are appreciated, though.

As for the animated image, just click on it to go to the web site. You've got to create an account and construct your Meez, then you can embed the code in your blog. The same goes for Pirate Scott below Golf Scott. He's from Wee World, though.

I wish I could write as funny as Dave Barry. I've got a bunch of his old books as bathroom readers. He regularly makes me laugh out loud. I'm sure Stacy wonders why I'm in the bathroom giggling like a school boy. Ah well, I doubt it's the weirdest thing she's heard me do.