Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Office: Dinner Party (A Date with Disappointment?)

Sooooo, we finally got a new episode of The Office Thursday annnnnnnnd, it was kinda disappointing. I expected a lot more from the wizards behind The Office after such a long hiatus.

Quickie summary: Jan and Michael have a few people over for a dinner party. Jan and Michael have a creepy relationship. Jan and Michael make everyone feel really uncomfortable, including the audience. Everyone leaves and their relationships are revealed to be really crappy too, except for Jam who have the only purely amusing scene in the episode.

I think achieving uncomfortable humor successfully is a fine art. One at which The Office generally excels. The show usually hits more often and harder with the funny than a Ben Stiller movie. Perhaps in this one the creepy uncomfortableness was too far out or not far out enough. I just couldn't avoid feeling like one of the people at the dinner party, which would not have been fun at all.

Am I wrong? Was it a great episode? What do you think?

2 comments:

Jon Maki said...

I thought it was pretty good overall, though I think the biggest problem is that it's a show called "The Office," and it's at its best when it doesn't stray too far from that location for too long.
Best scene, IMO, was Pam tellingJim that he could "always buy more things, but he could never buy another party.
Also, FWIW, my mom usually hates the show, but she actually liked this episode.
(Word Verification: jugbu)

Merlin T Wizard said...

It had its moments. I don't think it was up to the caliber of previous episodes, though. I'm looking forward to the return to the actual office, too.