Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Why MMOs Suck, or Do They?

What's this? A Web Log? A place where I can write thoughts, rants, and commentary? Why, that's brilliant! Why didn't I think of doing this before? What's that? I did? I've been here before? This is my blog? No! Really? Well then, I suppose I should write about something!

This could possibly break my self-imposed fast on MMOs.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I played the grand daddy of MMORPGs, Everquest, for a few years. It wasn't the first, but it was certainly the biggest until World of Warcraft came along. I was out of that world long before then, though.

The appeal of MMORPGs is not hard to define. The idea of a persistent world in which players can develop an avatar, form relationships, and take part in the stories in that virtual space is more than enough to lure in many people. Each MMORPG has its own quirks and features that expound on those basic principles.

A few things soured me on the genre. The biggest one is the implicit requirement to play with others. It may come as a surprise to some people that don't know me, but I'm a loner by nature. Stacy keeps me in circulation so I don't lapse too far, thanks baby. Reaching a point in the game that required me to join a group of complete strangers just to play further only served to encourage me not to play.

"But Scott," I hear you say, "Didn't you have friends that you could play with?"

Yeah, those friends would invariably either play at different times or play to the point where our avatars were no longer able to group together. "Sorry, man. I'll hang out with you for a little while though! Wait, my guild is raiding a dragon's lair, gotta go! Have fun!"

Wheeeee!

"No," you say, "That's not what I was going to say. Why not take that as an opportunity to make new friends, blah, blah, blah?"

Maybe you didn't read the paragraph where I said I'm a loner by nature? I've got friends and family. I don't need any more, especially not the kind that are obsessed with an online game like Evercrackquest.

Knowing that there was content in the game I would never see without spending hours and hours doing repetitive actions was even more disappointing to my completist nature. The game got to the point where it was a chore to sign on and kill the same monster over and over until I was strong enough to repeat the process with the next monster. I play games to have fun. When the game is no longer fun, I put it down.

So I put down Everquest. I also decided that the whole MMO lifestyle was not for me. I have other demands on my time that preclude devoting the amount of time required to really explore such games. Give me something like Mario Galaxies where I can play a few levels and turn it off, confident in the fact that when I turn it back on, I'll be able to pick up where I left off and eventually complete the game.

Even better, give me a game like LEGO: Star Wars with replayability that keeps me coming back for more and more. I'm eagerly awaiting LEGO: Batman and LEGO: Indiana Jones. You can imagine why the following article has piqued my long-dormant curiosity in the MMO realm.

LEGO Universe

The idea that I can build anything I can think of in the game and then export it to real life LEGOs alone is enough to get me to try the game out. Even if the MMO part sucks rocks, I could totally get into that part. I just hope they don't withhold the good LEGO bricks for people that complete crazy multi-part quests that require teaming up with complete strangers and performing the same actions over and over again.

Cuz then LEGO Universe can go to ****.

5 comments:

RNandKT said...

I should stick to reading Stacy's blog, at least that is written in mom so I can understand. MMO means? Mom Must Operate means moms get no sleep they are always on Operate mode. LEGO Means? Let Elephants Grab Oranges means let your kids do what they will if it isn't too expensive or messy and they are happy for five minutes.

Merlin T Wizard said...

Sorry for throwing lingo at you. MMO is short for Massively Multiplayer Online game. MMORPG is a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. The idea is a shared world in which a large number of players can interact. This wikipedia entry should shed some light on the subject.

As for LEGO? I'm disappointed. Don't tell me your boys don't have any LEGOs? I can't imagine my childhood without the sharp, pointy, mom-and-dad-will-step-on-it-if-we-leave-them-out choking hazards. Didn't we stop by the LEGO store at Mickey's Boardwalk in Orlando? It was the one with the life-size LEGO family, the huge LEGO robot, the big LEGO dinosaur, and the giant LEGO sea serpent outside in the water.

Just in case, here's the scoop straight from the horse's mouth.

lbugsh2 said...

Katie do not feel to bad I did not know what he was talking about till he started using names like Evercrack and Lego starwars.

RNandKT said...

Me feel bad never, I knew Lego Starwars, I just thought my definition was funnier. Thanks for the MORK explaination though. Yes that is MORK and Mindy.

Merlin T Wizard said...

Hmm, MORK.
Mutant Obsessive Roadkill Kicker?
Moody Overanxious Runty Kiwi?
Microscopic One-dimensional Robotic Knife?
Yeah, not sure what MORK stands for.